Re: Gene Pokorny Premieres Tuba Concerto

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Richard Armandi on June 09, 2000 at 15:40:59:

In Reply to: Gene Pokorny Premieres Tuba Concerto posted by Steve Marcus on June 09, 2000 at 06:34:27:

Thursday evening's performance was nothing short of a triumph in all respects. John Stevens has given the world a major artistic work, one that showcases the contrabass Tuba in myriad dimensions, from the sweet and passionate to the wild and furious. It is great music, deserving, IMHO of major recognition, e.g., the Pulitzer prize. Gene's playing was superb, capturing the soul and essence of the music at every turn. It was truly great virtuosic artistry brought to life. There are many places where the Tuba plays unaccompanied - Gene's expressivity and impeccable timing of phrase kept me on the edge of my seat. Maestro William Eddins masterfully harnessed the orchestral forces to produce a wonderfully cohesive, sensitive and intelligent flow to the material.
If you can't make it to tonight's or Saturday's performance, try to hear it when it is broadcast (check local listings). You will be amply rewarded. Let's also hope it gets recorded commercially.
It is also noteworthy that the piece stood up well, indeed towered along side, of the two other great American masterworks that were offered in the program, Bernstein's Symphonic Dances from 'West Side Story' (which opened the concert) and Copland's 3rd Symphony. They were brilliantly played as well, the brass their usual spectacular selves, anchored by Tubist Jerome Stover, a tremendous young talent.
It was definately a night I'll not forget. Music history is being made in Chicago this week and we are all the richer for it.
Sincerely,
Richard Armandi

Follow Ups: