Re: Re: Re: No college?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Sean Chisham on June 07, 2000 at 21:02:49:

In Reply to: Re: Re: No college? posted by Joe S. on June 07, 2000 at 19:41:22:

Sounds like me and the computer industry. Within 5 years of starting out, I was in a very enviable position. No certificates, no formal computer education, no degrees in computer science. Just lots of late nights practicing new technology. In fact most of the more "certified" techies I worked with were the most clueless. The employers I worked for could care less about whether you have a degree stating you passed some tests. They care about one thing. "Can this person excel at the tasks I will put before him?"

In music it is the same thing.

As Joe pointed out, If someone shows up and can play music very very well, then that individual may win the position. I would, however, consider it foolish to pass up undergrad school with the thought process of studying lessons only with a single individual will give one the musical depth required to really stand out. College is a great opportunity to learn from the varied experiences of world class professionals. That is of course assuming that you attend a reputable school. You will also have fun. Believe it or not, it is a lot more fun to attend college and practice, then to take weekly lessons and simply practice alone for 8 hours per day. What will you do with the other 5 hours+ in the day?

College is an experience, not only a means to an end. You will make lifelong friends and many many valuable contacts. It is one of those rights of passage which you should take part in.

sean chisham

Follow Ups: