Re: SOUSAPHONE questions????????????????????

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by ken k on June 03, 2000 at 22:24:50:

In Reply to: SOUSAPHONE questions???????????????????? posted by Kevin Eckelkamp on June 03, 2000 at 12:48:15:

Hi Kevin, If you are staying in the $1500 range I don't think you will find much in the way of raincatchers, four valved sousas or quality vintage stuff. You will certainly be able to find a good quality, playable horn in that range but I don't think it will be anything particularly unique or outstanding. (that is not to say you can't try....you never know what you may find) I would not worry too much much about the silver plating or condition of the lacquer. They are cosmetic concerns that do not generally affect the playability of the horn, unless it is just really beat up and has not been taken care of. The best sousa I had ("had" being the key word in this sentence unfortunately) had no lacquer left on it, but there were not many dents, and the valves were excellent, and it played beautifully. You may want to keep the brand of York or old Martin or Beuscher "Handcrafted" in mind. They were well made horns and played very well. The best sousa my local high school has is an old silver plated York. (I teach the elementary band in our school district and whenever I play a parade or need a sousa for a gig I borrow the old York!) And the other horns are not pieces of junk either. They are old but very good brass Kings and Conns.

I do have an interesting sousa for sale in your price range, if you are interested. It is stamped with the name "Abbot Manufacturing Co." and also has "Made in Czech." stamped on the leadpipe. I suspect it was made by Amati for Abbot. Anyway it is silver plated with gold plating on the interior of the bell. It is a very pretty horn but unfortunately only an average player, which is why I am selling it.

Good luck in your hunt for the elusive sousa!
ken k

Follow Ups: