Re: Cost of re-laquering or re-silvering?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Joe S. on June 02, 2000 at 00:30:12:

In Reply to: Cost of re-laquering or re-silvering? posted by Kevin Eckelkamp on June 01, 2000 at 21:11:17:

A lacquer or silver job on a sousa costs about 4X - 5X what a sousaphone is worth (according to eBay), prior to either being done.

If you know of any highly competent and eager brass repair guys that will work for $20/hr. "NET" (PRIOR to "front counter" mark-up), send 'em MY way, please.

In some parts of the country, Mickie-Dee "kids" and "bonus-round" employees make $20/hr. I don't know of any repairmen beatin' on sousas for $20/hr.

I think there are a couple of different quality levels on those white leather pads priced accordingly.

Most shops only chemically clean the slides and pistons, because their tanks aren't large enough for sousa bodies. Usually, that is adequate if the repair dude agressively hand-cleans in between the casings (in the connecting ports) and corks off and chemically soaks the interior of the lower mouthpipe tube (which leads into the #1 casing). If a sousa has a fiberglass body, the repair-dude can unhook the valve section from the fiberglass and probably fit THAT into his chemical tank. Few good repair dudes are going to be able to help you, this time of year. They are completely buried with work through November. Then, most of the hardworking go-getters will want to slack off a bit until after Christmas, because they will be totally dead from the summer rush.

Follow Ups: