Re: Re: Looking for Opinions on Conn 12J

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Jan L on June 27, 1999 at 09:49:44:

In Reply to: Re: Looking for Opinions on Conn 12J posted by Brian Ridley on June 25, 1999 at 17:27:55:

Thanks for the feedback... Your experience with the 12J sounds a lot like how I found my 10J. It too came from a school and looked like a pep band casulty. Purchased thru a good friend, he replaced the damaged mouthpiece receiver and rolled the dents out of the bell. The bottom bow was already pretty straight, but looked like it had been repaired by a heavy-handed shop teacher, whose crowning touch to the repair was the application of a steel wire brush to the joints.

The body is still full of small to medium dents, but the valve block escaped injury and still looks and operates like new. For an ugly horn, it plays incredibly well with a very sweet sound. The horn is perfect for old-time music and dixieland in a small place. It's also handy to keep in the car in case of unexpected jam sessions.

I haven't done any legit playing in years, but the 12J seemed like it would be a decent inexpensive all-around horn if you're willing to work around the intonation problems inherent with only three valves.

Thanks again! jan

Follow Ups: