Re: Help! Purchasing Crisis!

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Jay Bertolet on June 19, 1999 at 21:52:30:

In Reply to: Help! Purchasing Crisis! posted by Jason on June 19, 1999 at 19:14:15:

If it hasn't been said enough times already, I'm going to say it again:

DON'T MAKE A TUBA PURCHASE WITHOUT TRYING THE TUBA FIRST!!!!

I'm sure any private instructor can tell you a bunch of horror stories about students who believed what they heard/read and bought a tuba sight unseen. So I guess going hand in hand with the previous statement would be:

DON'T VALUE ANYBODY'S OPINION ABOVE YOUR OWN WHEN IT COMES TO DECIDING WHAT TO BUY. YOU HAVE TO LIVE WITH AND PAY FOR YOUR DECISION!!!!!

Of course, you can employ other sets of ears to help you evaluate any instrument. It is also a good idea to consult with your teacher as he/she will be able to guide you down the right path of critical thought that leads to a good tuba purchase. Ultimately, you have to be satisfied with your tuba and how you sound on it. Anything less is a compromise and is a great recipe for financial disaster. So, when you read about great tubas that other people speak highly of, you can sleep soundly knowing you tried that tuba yourself and you like your tuba better.

A tuba is your musical voice, your personal expression. Would you let others tell you how to dress or what to do with your hair? Take the time and effort to research such an important purchase so that you can be confident and comfortable with your decision.

Follow Ups: