Re: Marzan CC Tuba for Sale

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Jay Bertolet on June 17, 1999 at 08:54:28:

In Reply to: Marzan CC Tuba for Sale posted by Steven Vornov on June 16, 1999 at 20:39:25:

I agree with Joseph Felton 100% on this one. All the Marzan tubas I have ever played have been phenominal instruments, absolutely in the same league as the very best R.Meinls, Meinl-Westons, Yorks, etc. Why does it always seem like the best tuba manufacturers end up going out of business leaving behind a disappointingly small number of really high quality instruments? The only reason I don't own a Marzan is because I never had an opportunity to buy one when I was looking. I think the original post of "5 piston valves" is incorrect. I'm pretty sure it is a 4 piston/1 rotary setup and is listed as such on the "Used Tuba and Euphonium" page run by Mudd.

Marzan tubas have the big sound of the York style tubas but, in my experience and opinion, have much better response. Also, they were designed by a very smart guy. The front action valves are positioned in a diagonal orientation which fits the hand much better. Also, the main tuning slide is where the first valve slide usually is so you can adjust any note on the horn simply by moving one slide while playing. Ironically, this is mostly unnecessary as the Marzan tubas I've played have been remarkably well in tune with a minimum of adjustment.

Anyone who is looking for a good, all purpose tuba would do well to give this horn a serious look. I'm alerting all my students about it. One of the guys I went to school with, who was a really good player, had one of these (in all rotary valves) and he was able to play so loudly on it that he was able to shake fluorescent light bulbs out of their fixtures. He was also able to play the most technical of trumpet etudes and also the Kraft Encounters II. That tuba was a great instrument and in the hands of a capable musician, I felt it offered no limitations. If you can get your hands on this tuba, do it!

Follow Ups: