Re: Re: Miraphone 1290 CC, Any feedback?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Charles on June 10, 1999 at 17:20:32:

In Reply to: Re: Miraphone 1290 CC, Any feedback? posted by Just DON'T Do it on June 09, 1999 at 22:11:46:

Let's not dismiss a particular model just because you don't like the playing characteristics of their older models. The 1290 was designed to be competition for the Hirsbrunner and similar larger darker sounding instruments.
I have played the prototype and it was a very good instrument. Then I had heard that they changed the bore to .73something and that the early production models had a smaller brighter sound. Apparently they have changed this back to the original .773 bore and made other changes as well (the picture in the brasswind looks like an extremely open wrap). I have also heard a rumor that someone recently won an audition with one of these horns (maybe someone on the BBS can confirm this). Although (if true)that says more about the player it certainly doesn't speak badly for the 1290.
Also check into the tuba that Nate Griffith (N.P. Griffith Co.)will soon be putting into production, it is loosely based on the 1290 and, in my opinion is one of the best Tubas I have ever played. Once these go into production the European manufacturers will most certainly be loosing some market share.

Follow Ups: