Re: Re: Re: CC 4 or 5 valves

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Jay Bertolet on June 09, 1999 at 15:46:46:

In Reply to: Re: Re: CC 4 or 5 valves posted by Chuck on June 09, 1999 at 13:29:58:

Its funny you should ask, I was just going through my old receipts and I found the ones involved with adding fifth valves to both my Cervany tubas. The parts, which I got from the Cervany factory through Geneva Corp., cost $150.00 for one and $200.00 for the other. This got me a first valve assembly (complete and assembled) plus an additional valve-slide crook plus a leadpipe (as insurance in the event that things didn't work out). I then took the parts to the repairman and he charged $175.00 to modify the valve to a flat first (add the extra crook), install it on the horn with a cut leadpipe, and then build the linkage from scratch. So total cost was well under $500.00.

I've heard that Mirafone charges alot more for this type of operation. I was considering modifying my old Boosey Sovereign into a 5 valve (4 piston, 1 rotor) front action Eb and the only valve we could find that was big enough was a Mirafone made valve (rotor only) that they wanted $400.00 for! You can imagine what my response was...

Follow Ups: