Re: Re: Tuba Opinions

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Joe Sellmansberger on June 05, 1999 at 18:57:15:

In Reply to: Re: Tuba Opinions posted by Jay Bertolet on June 05, 1999 at 18:20:35:

If you really want to try and get by with one tuba (difficult, perhaps), I think that the Willson Eb that Jay recommended comes pretty close to a "crossover" instrument. Although I have only "technically" owned some of these (I am a Willson dealer, and have only played these - critically and extensively, however - prior to notifying customers that their instruments had arrived), I have always been impressed with their intonation, response, and hearty sound.

Right now, I am "getting by" with my standard bore B&S F, because I sold my big CC, and things are working out OK for now. The bell on this instrument is about the same size as the 186 Mirafone bell used to be, and I can make a lot of respectable, controlled, and resonant racket with this instrument.

If you would like to try the Willson Eb, I can arrange a trial, I think. This is NOT a "bargain" tuba, but I would cut you a very close deal. It has 4 pistons and a BIG rotor that they call "Rotax", which supposedly cuts down on resistance as air passes through it. They try, with the huge diameter rotor, to make the air flow through it like these two parentheses look> )(

Follow Ups: