Re: hidemith & vw

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by A Viable Explanation on July 31, 2003 at 13:12:54:

In Reply to: hidemith & vw posted by thomaji on July 30, 2003 at 04:40:35:

Ok, here is my take on this whole issue. When a tuba player auditions, it is not for a room full of tuba players, but generally, the wind principals of any given orchestra. Ralph Vaughn-Williams has name recognition, he is held in high regard by just about everyone. John Williams is considered a "Pops" composer. Given the general disregard that alot of orchestral musicians have for pops music, a bias might crop up. Hindemith is a fringe composer, most orchestras play little beyond the Symphonic Metamorphisis, unless you happen to be in a "biggie" or have an adventorous MD. It boils down to a comfort zone. Again, this is pure supposition as are many of the answers. As for the NYPO using Strauss? The last time there was an audition for the NYPO was in 1978. I was freshman in college and my teacher, the fine player Kevin Ladd was invited. The solo was the Kraft Encounters. This was during the Mehta years and I believe you only had to play it if you made the finals. Sanity has taken a great upswing since then. I don't think anyone wants to play the Kraft and work up the entire list. Take it for what's it worth...

Chuck Jackson

Follow Ups: