Re: Mouthpiece !?!...RIGHT? - or - WRONG?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Tony E on July 30, 2003 at 16:03:02:

In Reply to: Mouthpiece !?!...RIGHT? - or - WRONG? posted by :) on July 30, 2003 at 13:39:21:

I understand what you're talking about, and think you're kicking around an intersting question.

It seems in church playing, I find myself playing alot of time from the Bb below staff to the F one octave down. In that range, if you are playing during the hynmns with a good sized congregation singing, it's really easy to get burried...especially if there's an organ in the picture.

So, I'm going to assume that's roughly the range you're talking about. In my experience with most horns, using either a smaller rim/cup or a smaller backbore will create a sensation of more resistance...which makes the notes feel as if they are popping out with more force. I find it does create a more "edgy" sound. However, I believe that is deceptive in terms of sheer volume output and solidity of tone, as heard by the congregation.

The backbore question is hard to understand because how it will react to the bore of your instrument is a big variable. However, my general experience is that a larger, deep funnel mouthpiece (lets say Conn Helleburg or larger) with a backbore that is as large as possible without pulling the pitch too flat is the best combination in terms of sheer stump pulling power in the range we're talking about.

I don't know what size horn you're playing, but there's nothing wrong with trying to find whatever advantage you can through an appropriate mouthpiece selection, and it's actually a pretty good question.

Just my experiences.

Tony E

Follow Ups: