Re: Re: Re: Holton SS Valves

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Chuck(G) on July 27, 2003 at 09:47:17:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Holton SS Valves posted by Rick Denney on July 27, 2003 at 01:46:09:

It plays very nicely, requiring quite a bit of air. No substantial intonation issues (even the D in the staff plays in tune open); usual compromises because of its 3-valvedness, but false tones are very good. Valves are just fair--a little leaky which gets in the way of things slotting more precisely.

I was giving it a test play when my wife arrived home from running errands. Running into the room, she exclaimed "Wow, what is that?". Huge focused sound, different from my big CC York (not quite as "warm and fuzzy"), which was something of a surprise since the old Holtons use essentially the same body as the old Yorks (I think Holton just purchased parts for the big prewar horns from York and used their own valves and hardware to build them).

Having played a 190, I'd take the Holtophone any day over the real thing. I'll give this one a test play at a concert today and see what the reaction from the back row is.

Follow Ups: