Re: Buying New Horn

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by N.Dwyer on July 23, 2003 at 20:11:33:

In Reply to: Buying New Horn posted by Steven Gonzalez on July 23, 2003 at 16:46:42:

I have played a PT-1 for several years, and have found it to be a very fine horn. Intonation is good, with only a couple of alternate fingerings needed, in-staff C requires 4th valve for me, and top space G is a bit of a clinker. I find the construction to be fine, a bit lighter weight than the MW-25 but fine for all but the most vigorous school folk. Sound is great, I can't find any other horn I would trade it for, and I've tried some others. Valves are reliable and fast after a bit of trouble getting the last vestiges of old oil out and synthetic in. I use a Doug Elliot setup with a P cup and 4E shank for most playing, and a PT-50 some of the time. When I bought it there was no lower cost alternative, as the ones from the manufacturer had a smaller bell. I played one of the smaller ones and found that the lower end profits from the extra stack size. It's very hard to overblow, and still sounds good at full power. Highly recommended. NWD

Follow Ups: