Re: I'd like to share this...

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by David on July 20, 2003 at 07:45:20:

In Reply to: I'd like to share this... posted by Jay on July 20, 2003 at 01:18:40:

In answer to the question, no, I have not been in that situation.

Now, several questions for you. Why do you have to study with this person? Could another institution serve you as well? Will changing your sound ruin your chances of playing with the groups you do? Also, will changing your sound change the way you play your jazz/dixieland parts? Will it make you better or worse in the long run?

Tone quality is certainly an individual concept. Most of us, however, have taken concepts from our teachers. The best teacher will take your sound and enhance rather than destroy it. Most good teachers start with where you are now and, beginning with air production and embouchure, go from there. If somewhere along the way your sound changes, it will usually be for the better and not the worse.

An old friend of mine from college had to change his total embouchure when he was a senior in college. I remember him crying in his practice room on many occasions because the change hurt so much. It hurt some of the groups he played in as well, one being the brass quintet he and I shared. He went on to play in the American Brass Quintet for a time and then got a trumpet teaching job at a university in Wisconsin. So did the switch help or hurt?

You have to be the ultimate judge as this is about you but be aware that most teachers have your best interests at heart. Sometimes the immediate "hurt" results in long term "joy".

Follow Ups: