Re: pre- professional tuba playin' jobs

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Chuck on July 18, 2003 at 11:09:47:

In Reply to: pre- professional tuba playin' jobs posted by just a tuba player on July 18, 2003 at 10:11:15:

Well, I'm presently in that in-between stage. I graduated in 2000 and got a "day job" as a library technician at the university from which I graduated. It's been a great situation because it's steady pay with benefits, but my schedule is completely flexible because I don't have to do any customer service kinds of things. This job really hasn't gotten in the way of me taking any gigs, and usually I just work earlier in the day so I can practice in the afternoon/evening time.

I considered staying in school to get my Master's after I finished my Bachelor's, but in talking with my teacher about it we decided that it wasn't really a necessary expense at this point, considering that I was more interested in pursuing playing than teaching (not that a Master's degree is a waste for people who want to perform at all!). I'm still doing plenty of playing and I have time to practice, so as long as I'm continuing to stay in shape and I'm getting good experience, I'm happy. My practice schedule has actually been steadier and more productive since I've been out of school!

So, I didn't really say "screw this," even though I did get a job. I just got a job that allowed me to keep playing as much as I would be otherwise.

-ck

Follow Ups: