Re: Re: Re: Favorite Quintet Horn

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by K on July 14, 2003 at 10:51:16:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Favorite Quintet Horn posted by Mary Ann on July 14, 2003 at 10:02:24:

You certainly can find good oval or straight German/Czech Baritonen with 4, 5, and, in rare cases, 6 rotary valves.

The "last" valve may have functions, which differ from comparable tubas:

I have seen a quarter-tone valve and a normal valve paddle acting as the trigger for one of the valve slide. Both obviously intonation remedying tools.

However: in my vocabulary, there exists nothing called a rotary euphonium. The euphonium term was coined in England to name a very specific instrument with a specific role to play in the British brass band.

Since then this instrument has replaced the US baritone almost totally on a pro level. And makers of non-British origin have become major players on the euphonium market.

The oval/straigth rotary Bariton comes out of the original Cerveny think-tank. I have 2 oval Kaiserbaritonen, an Eser 3RV in C and a pre-1930 luxury 4RV Cerveny in Bb. They should not be considered better or worse, than my YEP 641 comper, but they certainly are very different from a modern heavyweight piston comp euph.

But then your small rotary F bass tuba is very different from mine, the just about largest Eb 3+1 comper.

You might find useful through excellent German Baritonen from makers like

Cerveny
Miraphone
Wenzel Meinl
B&S/VMI
Glassl
Alexander-Mainz

But you also might have a solution right in front of you already:

As your F tuba is smallish and your high range chops are well working, then it is well worth a try to play the euph/2nd trombone/bassbone parts on your basstuba. You will not be the first TubeNetter having done that (I haven't!)

Klaus

Follow Ups: