Re: Re: Fred Geib

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Mark Heter on July 14, 2003 at 08:29:07:

In Reply to: Re: Fred Geib posted by Paul on July 13, 2003 at 20:21:18:

Fred Geib "Fritz" - as I believe he was known - played in several orchestras, and was the first tuba player of the Radio City Orchestra, back when it was a 60-piece ensemble led by Erno Rapee. Erno Rapee was responsible for codifying thematic musical material that acompanied "silent" movies before 1927's introduction of the Vitaphone process. He published an encylopedia cross referencing action with appropriate musical themes, etc. Anyway, he had the pick of the litter when they opened Radio City, and Geib was his first call for tuba. In those days the Radio City Orchestra "competed" with the orchestra at the Roxy. The Radio City gigf was 52 weeks a year in those days, four to six shows daily, an drequired the orchestra to play an overture, accompany the stage show (singers, dancers, Rockettes, big production numbers, dog acts, etc.) Geib held the job until he passed away. I believe Don Butterfield succeded him. I also believe when Don auditioned for Julliard, Geib was one of the judges... BTW when they opened, the cornet soloist was Del Staigers - gives you an idea of the musicianship available in those days!

Follow Ups: