Re: Re: Re: Re: Favorite Quintet Horn

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by AW on July 13, 2003 at 22:18:56:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Favorite Quintet Horn posted by Matt G on July 13, 2003 at 17:51:28:

I also have a MW32, set up as Matt G. described, and I love it. It's a great compromise, with lots of flexibility. Its sound can be very big, but one can also balance with a small combo. For example, I can play a bass line under a softly played piano, and the result is a reinforcement of what the piano is doing.

I have received a lot of compliments on my tone. I'll take some credit for the work I've done toward that goal, but I'll say that this horn is a huge aid for bringing my tonal concept to life. [The other day, I received the ultimate compliment from a community band member: "Gosh, do you practice?"]

If you have not played Meinl-Weston's tubas, you will be shocked at the excellence of the valve action. I'm spoiled.

I did have the first valve vented and its slide lapped. Although the tuba can be played in tune without any slide moving, tweaking the first valve slide for some notes makes it easier to sound good on certain notes when they are long or loud (mostly the F just below the staff).

The fifth valve slide is adjustable to cover a flat whole step (my preference) or a sharp whole step. As is typical, the third valve slide is very long. Getting the extended main tuning slide is essential if you want to tune the instrument to A=440. The standard main tuning slide is for European tuning standards (A=443 or more).

If I were to get another tuba, it would have to be for some very specialized use. I certainly would not give up my MW32, no matter what else I might get.

Allen Walker

Follow Ups: