Re: Re: BBb Opinion

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Karl on July 13, 2003 at 12:08:57:

In Reply to: Re: BBb Opinion posted by Thanks! on July 12, 2003 at 18:42:48:

If price is a consideration, try the 4 valve rotory VMI 2103. It is essentially the same horn as the PT1 that was mentioned in an earlier post, except the bell is slightly smaller and appr $1000 cheaper. I have been told that the differences start at the lower large bend, where the bore is smaller and the bell might be a little longer to make up for the smaller bell. I have one from Brooks Mays that I bought nearly 2 years ago that currently is used exclusively for brass band. You can get it for around $3K. However, if I had the money I would get the VMI 3302 (which is the 5 piston model.)

I can not think of the model, but at NABBA, Besson had a very nice compensating BBb, but it was rather expensive. You can not go wrong with Miraphone, either. The "student" 186-4 is around $4K, which is appr $500 less than the "pro" 186-4, but does not have the silver bell garland and the fancy ferules.

In our braas band, our section leader, Dave Sludder, has the VMI 3302 he uses when playing BBb parts. Emmanual Jester, who we lost to the Air Force last year, played an awesome BBb low range with his CC Miraphone 186 5 valve. His "replacement" is using a PT6 that sounds really nice.

Karl Parks
Brass Band of Central FLorida
Orlando, FL

Follow Ups: