Re: Lip questions

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Don't stress! on July 12, 2003 at 07:50:48:

In Reply to: Lip questions posted by Student on July 12, 2003 at 01:43:30:

Mouthpiece placement is different for all of us as our Oral Cavity, teeth, lips and so on differ.

The majority of people have an 'overbite' (top teeth overlap bottom when biting) but some have an 'underbite'. Most Overbite players naturally play with a downward airstream and also tend to have slightly more top lip in the mouthpiece; Underbiters 'tend' to go for the opposite. You can tell which you are by firstly biting and checking your front teeth.
Then do some free-buzzing-

Low notes = Air comes nearly 'straight out'.
As you buzz higher, your airstream will move either up or down (test this using your hands above and below your lips).

Remember it doesn't really matter which you are but it's fine to know!
As I recall, Joe Alessi = Lower lip predominates, Whilst Steve Mead = Top lip predominates (just as an example).

If you're an overbiter you will 'probably' find your mouthpiece 'move' toward your nose as you go higher. The opposite is true for underbiters. I don't advocate shifting the mouthpiece about on your face when moving between ranges of the instrument (ie. Pinching the lips together for high notes and using 'false' embochoures [sp!?] in the low range). As you adjust pitch, so your jaw will move- this causes the lips to stretch or contract which may look like someone is pinching when they are not.

As for the pressure thing, I wouldn't worry about it too much. A degree of pressure MUST be used to maintain a seal around the mouthpiece rim. Clearly too-much pressure isn't desirable, particularly if you are a developing player. Pressure cuts off the blood supply which speeds fatigue in the lip muscles and results in bruising. When I was a Student I simply kept in mind not to use too much pressure rather than worrying about trying to use as little as possible. Your stamina will develop and you'll be able to handle longer periods of intense playing. Look at some of the finest soloists and you'll see they have a permanent ring on their lips (not a red one but it's there); some even have scar tissue which certainly isn't a good thing but it didn't hold them back any did it?? Remember Brass playing is a physical activity more than playing certain other instruments.

Unless your 'ring' is a long way to one side I wouldn't mess with it. It has formed in that position because of your dental structure and any change is likely to bring only frustration. A Jacobs did a variety of experiments showing it's possible to get good results with the strangest of embochoures. Focus on your results, not the method!

Good luck,
MP

Follow Ups: