Re: Horn tuning/legato issues

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Joseph on July 11, 2003 at 10:02:40:

In Reply to: Horn tuning/legato issues posted by SHS Tubamaster on July 10, 2003 at 23:08:49:

It is my humble opinion that in general rotory horns have a smoother inherent legato than most piston horns. However, I've met exceptions on both sides of the fence. I think one of the aspects of pistons that has currently made them trendy is their mild tendency to 'pop' between notes that gives the impression of a bit more cleanliness out front. Rather than blame the type of valves(we've all been guilty of blaming the horn) a better long term strategy for continued growth is to blame yourself even when it *is* clearly the horn and then learn how to make it sound great regardless. As other people have politely pointed out without saying it so directly the key to fixing a problem with your playing is to practice that aspect of your playing.

In this case spend more time playing legato. The Wes Jacobs Low legato etudes are good.. if you don't want to spend the money you can get the same exact music in the trombone Rochut book and learn to play it in multiple octaves. I've also recently become a huge fan of the Snedecor book. Also, if you are one to always practicing your scales tongued try spending some time playing them slurred. As others have suggested isolate possible sources of problems in your playing. Are you moving your fingers quickly and precisely between notes? And is the air moving all the way through between each note? Obviously, if you stop the air there isn't much chance for there to be much of a slur. Can you buzz the slurred passage while maintaining your ideal legato? If you can't buzz it your chances of playing it are slim to none.

Good luck!! :)

Follow Ups: