Re: Keefer tuba serch

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Owner on July 11, 2003 at 07:56:17:

In Reply to: Keefer tuba serch posted by Daniel C. Oberloh on July 10, 2003 at 19:12:18:

Dan,
It was I who plunked down that wad of cash for the Keefer. She's played daily in my living room as I hone my dixieland and Dirty Dozen techniques. The sound is warm and unlike any of my other horns so she gets special attention. It came with a Keefer #8 mouthpiece and was shipped with that still in the receiver. The only work I had to do on the horn once it got to me was to have the rotors disassembled and oiled. The dents were nothing major affecting the airstream, so I left them in. I've had few guys honk on it in parking lots and at the ranch and they seem to like. Concert horn? tough to say since I'm not even close to having the talent to judge, but it's a freakish horn with just the right amount of charm to keep me playing daily.

Bore is like .73 - .75. 20" bell. No serial number. It's a Keefer because it says that on the bell. My best guess is that this was a remnant from the Distin plant, constructed probably in Germany (or by a good builder at Distin) and then brought over to Keefer after the takeover for the stamp. The tubing thru the rotors is a straight shot, so if you want to clean you can just push a straight rod without having to worry about all the knuckles thru the rotors.

Hope this answers your questions.

Chewie Chalabala
www.tubahouse.com
author of "TubaViews ~ Echoes from the Back Row" (foregive the shameless plug)

Follow Ups: