Re: Re: Re: Neilson 4

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by K on July 10, 2003 at 13:57:49:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Neilson 4 posted by Chuck Jackson on July 10, 2003 at 13:11:40:

The orchestra played in (second violin) and conducted, The Royal Chapel, was much smaller at his time, than are modern orchestras. But already then it had an exceptional warm string sound nurtured by the Norwegian concertmaster Svendsen.

The trumpets were narrow and in low F (= alto horns, but written in high F = Brandenburg #2).

The trombones were of the German type with narrowish slides and large bell diameters.

The tuba was in F 3+2RV or 3+3RV. Small bore and a bell diameter in the 11" to 12" range.

Even in the smaller orchestra context back then the tuba hardly has had a fundamental effect comparable to modern 4/4 contrabass tubas. Rather it carried lines with a timbre distinctly different from the strings and woodwinds.

Carl August Nielsen never went to make smooth music intended to please " the ladies. He was very active in pleasing in other ways, and his wife wasn't there, when his supposedly youngest son was born.

But then the mind and soul of interesting people rarely is smooth. Serialists and people composing music more in concordance with mathematical formulas claim to express the darker sides of being a human. But I find CAN most often doing the same with greater musical appeal and displaing more true musicianship.

We are not discussing his 3rd, Espansiva, here, but for me that one is a great musical representation of the richness and the beauty of being human. Yes, he can be deeply annoying along the road. But I hear that being part of his intended scheme.

Klaus

Follow Ups: