Re: Re: VW Concerto....3rd mvmt recording?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Rick Denney on July 09, 2003 at 17:01:04:

In Reply to: Re: VW Concerto....3rd mvmt recording? posted by Jeremy Williams on July 09, 2003 at 15:43:07:

One hopes not. Did you see the thread I started a few weeks ago about three of the recordings of the Vaughan Williams? Do a search on Catelinet and you'll find considerable discussion about this recording. To summarize my own view: It is not and should not be the definitive recording of this work. For that, I prefer the Fletcher, but the Hans Nickel recording is pretty amazing.

Here are the recordings I know of that might still be had:

Philip Catelinet, with the LSO/Barbirolli, recorded the day after the premiere in 1954. EMI Classics 66543 (British Composers/Vaughan Williams/Elgar)

Arnold Jacobs, with the CSO/Barenboim, recorded in the early 70's. Now available on Deustche Grammophon, B000002502 (The Chicago Principal)

John Fletcher, with the LSO/Previn, recorded in the late 60's or early 70's. Now available on RCA Victor Gold Seal 2RG 60586 (Ralph Vaughan Williams, Symphony No. 5, etc)

Patrick Harrild, with the LSO/Thomson, recorded in 1989. Now available on Chandos 8470 (Vaughan Williams, Symphony No. 6, etc)

Michael Lind, with the Royal Stokholm Philharmonic Orchestra, recorded in the 90's. Now available on Caprice 21493 (The Virtuoso Tuba). See the link on the Recordings page of this site.

Hans Nickel, with the Slovak Radio Symphony Orchestra/Van der Roost, recorded last year. Now available directly from the label, on Valve-Hearts 3102 (canTUBAllada). See my post: http://www.chisham.com/wwwboard/messages/139622.html.

All these are currently available if you look hard enough. All are recorded with orchestra, and all include all three movements.

There are a couple of recordings of individual movements, including several of just the second movement, and Jacobs's practice session on Portrait of an Artist that includes only the first movement. And there is a recording with the dePaul Wind Ensemble with Floyd Cooley as the soloist that I haven't heard, but it ought to be good.

Rick "who owns them all" Denney

Follow Ups: