Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: State of Classical Music?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Rick Denney on July 06, 2003 at 22:18:09:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Re: State of Classical Music? posted by Chuck(G) on July 06, 2003 at 15:46:07:

Classical music has always been for the elite. My decidedly middle-class father enjoys listening to it occasionally but knows little about it and doesn't seek it out, and he played 'cello as a schoolkid. His father knew nothing about it, and neither did his. Of my many contemporary friends who enjoy classical music, most know much more about it than their parents and grandparents. I see it as actually gaining wider acceptance in society, commensurate with education more than anything, at least up through our generation. Possibly both education and interested in classical music has peaked with our generation. But though our generation may appreciate it across a wider range of social strata doesn't mean live classical music has a larger audience because of it (though there are still more pro orchestras now than 30 years ago).

The pianist in the article sounds like he is having a crisis of middle age, and I sympathize with him. But I don't condone his public temper tantrum. For example, there is nothing keeping him from playing what he wants for whom he wants, provided he pays for it himself, if he thinks it is important. Perhaps the problem is with him and just needing something to complain about.

Rick "who, upon entering middle age, has considered at times throwing engineering into the nearest lake" Denney

Follow Ups: