Re: Finalists

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Lew on July 31, 2002 at 14:06:54:

In Reply to: Finalists posted by Brady on July 31, 2002 at 11:25:10:

Have you tried playing them side by side? If not, try to find a way to do so. A choice between these two horns would very much be a personal thing. The MW 25 is a solidly built rotary valve horn with the typical "German" sound. To me this means a little more focused sound. The King 2341 is probably a little less consistent in manufacturing quality, but still a generally well made horn, with the classic "American" sound. By "American" I mean a broad, complex sound.

Since you like the Mirafone 191, the MW is more like that horn than the King, although the King has a large bell, similar to the 191. My personal preference between these 2 is the King. I have never liked the way any MW 25s that I have tried have played. For me they have all felt stuffy. Other people I know have a strong preference for the MW. The Meinl has a larger bore, 0.768" vs. 0.687" than the King, making it less easily overblown.

Another consideration is that the price for a new MW model 25 is about $400 more than the price for a new King. I think that the extra money would be better spent on a hard case, or at least a good gig bag.

Follow Ups: