Re: Re: Re: Re: Fafner impressions

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Rick Denney on July 31, 2002 at 13:15:36:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Fafner impressions posted by BP on July 30, 2002 at 23:00:48:

I'm always amused by the "whatever" response. It signifies that nothing is offered in argument, but that one still doesn't agree. "Don't confuse me with the facts..."

It could and probably does mean that arguing isn't worth the trouble, but then one wonders why the first message was offered. One should be prepared to defend one's assertions when they are made in a public forum.

And I tire of the "just my opinions" excuse for saying nasty and foolish things. Yes, it is your opinion, but one assumes that you have a reason other than divine enlightenment for holding that opinion, in which case we'd like to hear it. Perhaps your opinions make more sense than bad delivery suggested the first time through, and you'll persuade us on a second attempt. As I said, Joe's authority as an opinion-giver has been established by a long history of wonderful music-making and clear thinking expressed here about how tubas work. I filter through the curmudgeonly character to get at those nuggets. I'm even entertained by the curmudgeonliness.

If you read Joe's first post fairly, you'd note that he supported and presented the notion that this less expensive Meinl-Weston horn compares favorably with the more expensive horn that he sells. Isn't that what you said?

I don't pretend to have the skills to explore the capabilities of even the instruments I own, let alone the instruments you would admire. I might still disagree with your values, and I might still have valid reasons for doing so. On the other hand, I don't see Meinl-Weston or Willson conducting competency tests before selling their horns. Checks that don't bounce are usually all they require.

I'd bet a medium-sized Chinese feast that Meinl-Weston is capable of producing more Fafners than there are BBb tuba players willing to buy them. I'd further bet that of those who would buy them, a large percentage are not good enough to explore their capabilities, and maybe not even as good as you. The same could be said for the Willson BBb tuba, and really for all the CC tubas, too.

My York Master was offered for sale four times in its life. Once, a top professional bought it new. He sold it to another top pro. He sold it to a good amateur, and then I bought it. I think it's safe to say that the talent of the owners is steadily declining since its second owner. Who would have bought it if I didn't? You? Would you appreciate it more than me just because you are better? I seriously doubt it. You might make better music on it, I'll grant that. Here's my point: There is no shortage of fine BBb tubas on the market, and amateurs buying them doesn't keep them out of the hands of pros and pro wannabes who desire them. In fact, amateurs are often more interested in their histories and capabilities than are pros, because amateurs think of them as a rare ticket to sublimity, while for a pro they are a tool (and that's all they should be for a pro who will feed his family). Most pros won't even touch them or appreciate them because they are pitched in BBb. I highly doubt any pro would waste his time on the foolish pursuits and admirations I have bestowed on that silly B&M-made York stencil, despite its provenance. That's what I mean by "serious."

Rick "sounding like Dale and proud of it" Denney

Follow Ups: