Re: What can a mouthpiece do?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by lisa on July 26, 2002 at 07:08:23:

In Reply to: What can a mouthpiece do? posted by Leland on July 25, 2002 at 21:59:48:

I think some mouthpieces will cause different problems depending on the player. For example, on one occasion I left my PT50 that I normally play on my HB21 behind, and substituted my F tuba mouthpiece, a PT64. I was sharp the entire time due to the smaller cup, and didn't have the strength to bring the pitch down enough. I am guessing some people who are much stronger players would have no problem with a 64 on my CC tuba. I would think individual player "physics" and personal development of fundamentals is a big part of it.
In my experience, I think it depends entirely on what works for you. I play a Besson 983, and I never could get content with my sound. Lots of my friends told me to try the PS3, which Mr. Sheridan designed for his playing on that horn I am told. It didn't work so well for me, but in going to an old PT68, it was like magic had happened - after getting used to it. I never would have considered that without experimenting first.
For many people I think the mouthpiece "meant for the horn" does work very well, but be aware it might just take some experimentation on your part if it doesn't feel right for you. I think you should focus on yourself versus the horn initially. What works best for one may not be the best for you, don't be blinded by that school of thought. I've learned you should give yourself a chance on any mouthpiece before ruling it out... I have wasted a lot of time with that very mistake.
IMHO,
-lm

Follow Ups: