Re: 5 valve trade off

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Jay Bertolet on July 23, 2002 at 16:35:53:

In Reply to: 5 valve trade off posted by Sam Gnagey on July 23, 2002 at 12:50:43:

I have had a 5th valve added to two different instruments I've owned. I was EXTREMELY careful in both instances because I heard the warnings about an added valve messing up the response and intonation. The first time I had this done, I even bought an extra leadpipe so that, if the horn was indeed ruined, the process was reversible. And in both cases, I could not perceive any difference after the 5th valve was added.

To be fair, both of mine were rotary valve models. I think this design lends itself more readily to not suffering from the process. I have no experience on the flip side (adding a 5th to a 4 piston instrument) so I can't comment on that option. Considering how many folks are adding 5th valves to piston horns using the same technique as Rob Rusk used to, perhaps there is something to the warnings when talking about piston horns. My opinion and experience tells me that for the rotary horns, this isn't an issue.

My opinion for what it's worth...

Follow Ups: