Re: BBb tuba vs CC tuba

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Doc on July 23, 2002 at 14:43:18:

In Reply to: BBb tuba vs CC tuba posted by Wes on July 23, 2002 at 11:04:12:

I have played BBb and CC (and F) for many years. In orchestral, settings I used a big CC. In quintet and for solos, I used a small CC or F. For polka bands and other band applications, I used BBb. Each one fit the job I was doing. I really love CC, but I have a Conn 20J that has a fantastic sound. The problem: its applications are limited(three valves). There are so many good horns in both keys out there, that you really have to sit down and play a bunch. I believe the CC's, when compared to a BBb equivalent, have a little more clarity and a little less breadth. Many will disagree with that. IMHO, I find that a CC blends better with the trombone section. If you are not an accomplished player, than the "CC has better fingerings for orchestra" argument is somewhat valid. A good player can play in any key. If your horn is BBb or CC(if it's a decent one) has little bearing on low range. It will have low range problems if YOU have low range problems. I will say that if you want to stick with BBb, there are many fine horns available today, and you can probably find the sound you want on a BBb just as you might on a CC. Debates have come and gone on this BBS, without clear winners. You don't have to use different horns, as a good horn can do most jobs most adequately. The real answer to your question - Go out and find the horn that you like best.

Doc

Follow Ups: