Re: Re: Re: What BBb tuba is good?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Frank on July 22, 2002 at 07:47:28:

In Reply to: Re: Re: What BBb tuba is good? posted by Dan Malcore on July 20, 2002 at 00:32:20:

Dan,

I'm curious wht mouthpiece you have used with the Conn. I used (and now am using)a Bach 24W. I tried a Bach 24AW recently. It was a bit too hard to control. The 24W does seem to keep the big horn in tune better. Suprisingly, at least for me, the Bach works better than my Mirophone TU 21, both in the higher and lower register.

I used a 21J when the college band director formed a brass quintet to play for the National Music Educator's conference in Washington DC in 1963 or 64 (if memory serves) as well as in the wind emsemble.

This weekend I caught a segment on the Big Joe Polka Show on RFD TV. All kinds of polka bands, but, what do you know, a six or eight piece band, with a 20J - the guy could play it well, and I don't have to describe the quality of the big round sound..

Anyway, my point is that if you watch your volume levels, the big horn can do a nice job for you in small groups.

I read an article on the web about American vs German horns. And I agree with you, the Conn has a definate American sound, more of the higher harmonics rather than the dark German sound. I guess it is all in what you prefer. I like them both but, there is something satisfying down in your belly when you get that big horn cranked up - you played one so I know you know what I mean.

Anyway, I was away from playing from 1967 or 68 until a couple months ago. I had forgotten just how much fun it was. (The 1st few weeks were a bit rough though - and I am reading only about as well as I did in high school - but hopefully that will improve as time goes on)) I just wish I had gotten up with a community band years ago. I have been so busy fooling around with tuba, I haven't had time to work on my toy train collection.

And, I'm glad I found Tubanet. Interesting helpful stuff, and you meet a lot of nice folks.

Thanks, Frank

Follow Ups: