Mike Finn Mouthpieces

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Lee Stofer on July 20, 2002 at 12:12:02:

Hello all,
I had the pleasure of meeting Mike Finn this week when he was in Atlanta for a conference. We met for lunch one day, and we must have been a real curiosity to the other patrons of the Mexican restaurant, sitting there talking tubas and mouthpieces, with about 10 mouthpieces on the table!
At present, he has three basic designs. I took a MF-3 to test, and he took the Bruno Tilz copy of my old gargantuan Hablowitz mouthpiece, to measure and experiment with that design.
Most everyone that knows me, knows I generally don't like heavy-wall construction mouthpieces, but these play different from most. I had three Mirafone 186's on the bench yesterday, and used the MF-3 to play-test each of them, and also tried playing them with different mouthpieces to compare. Mirafone has not been my favorite make of tuba either, but the combination was just astounding. With the MF-3, the Mirafone sounded much more like a good Alex, really dark, and would play the higher dynamic levels without objectional edginess or offering to break up. Plus, the heavy-weight mouthpiece didn't seem to kill the good response in the mid- and softer dynamics, either. Congratulations, Mike!
Lee Stofer

Follow Ups: