Re: Re: Nothings easy!

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Tom Mason on July 19, 2002 at 20:48:18:

In Reply to: Re: Nothings easy! posted by Rick Denney on July 19, 2002 at 13:40:46:

I have had experiences with the king 2341 and jupiter 582. I like both horns for differing reasons.

1. The king does play with a generally middle of the road sound. I find myself overblowing the horn when pushing a larger group in a larger setting.

2. The jupiter has a darker sound, and is pushable more than my king. I don't use it in a small ensemble setting unless I have to, because of the heaviness of the sound.

I have heard band directors in my area swear to the VMI and cerveny models that match the mirafone 186 size. Some cerveny instruments are easier to dent than the others listed.

I have played some used mirafones in that price range or lower that have worked great, and others that were not in such good shape.

I would like to eventually get more of the kings for my high school groups. I have the jupiters and like them, but the kings are more sturdy. I believe that I can make the sound closer to the darker sound I prefer by experimenting more with my mouthpiece selection. For the adult owner, I am still up in the air on that one.

Tom Mason

Follow Ups: