Re: Using BAT as All-Round Orchestral Horn

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Jay Bertolet on July 16, 2002 at 22:30:47:

In Reply to: Using BAT as All-Round Orchestral Horn posted by Inquisitor on July 16, 2002 at 17:07:19:

I use my Nirschl 6/4 CC as my main orchestral contrabass tuba these days. I also have two other CC tubas because I do believe that the 6/4 horn isn't necessarily the right answer every time. One example that comes to mind is Stravinsky. I don't play the Rite on my Nirschl because my conception of the piece has a lot more edge and bite. A good 4/4 CC (in this case, a Rudy 4/4) is a better choice than the Nirschl.

Think of it this way: despite the folks on this BBS that have spoken against the characterization, there is a difference in the sounds of the big 6/4 horns (American) and the smaller 4/4 rotary horns (Germanic). Whether I can verbalize that difference exactly is irrelevant, the difference exists. All you have to do, once you have the tubas you want, is artistically choose what sound you want. Which sound, from among the tubas you own, best fits the character of the piece you see before you? For me, part of the job is intelligently choosing which sound best fits each piece. Some players do that with mouthpiece, some with different horns. Choose the process that works best for you.

My opinion for what it's worth...

Follow Ups: