Re: The Brass Band

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Tony E on July 15, 2002 at 22:15:05:

In Reply to: The Brass Band posted by Tony Z. on July 15, 2002 at 21:06:31:

Tony,

I think you may be right.

I started playing in a British Brass Band this year, and really enjoyed it. Because of the rich herritage of these bands in the U.K., there is a huge inventory of arrangements.

There's also something about the concept that seems geared toward having a good time. Our band practices on tuesday evening from 7-9 pm, and then most of us head to the local pub to have some fun. I'm usually home by eleven. In a fairly short period of time, I've gotten to know quite a few new friends.

Another nice aspect is that it's easy to use the full Brass Band as a source of players for smaller brass ensembles. This next year, our group will probably have a more active schedule for a smaller ensemble. We plan to rotate the instrumentation based on who's available on any given date. It seems to me that just about any given Brass Band could support a five to eight part ensemble with variable instrumentation.

I'm not sure how many paying gigs will result from their growing popularity...it seems the herritage is mostly one of amateur players getting together for fun. But hey, who knows.

Anyway, I'm with you...I'm glad that the British Brass Band is a trend that seems to be catching on.

Tony E

Follow Ups: