Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: pricing perspectives

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Rick Denney on July 15, 2002 at 17:27:52:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Re: pricing perspectives posted by js on July 15, 2002 at 16:57:42:

I'm reminded of the crusty proprietor of a second-hand camera shop in Austin, Texas that I used to frequent. He was selling a very nice Celestron 8" reflector telescope for the good price (at the time) of $800. I asked him why he was selling it--I had bought enough from him so that he would excuse the impertinance--and he told me that he wanted to by a 24" metal-cutting band saw. He said exactly what you are saying, but in a completely different context: "I can always find an $800 Celestron telescope to buy, but a band saw like this comes only ever 20 years. If you have the saw, you can do things with it. If you have $800, you have $800."

I burned a hole clean through a credit card when I bought the Yamaha F tuba. No defense for such financial irresponsibility would withstand scrutiny. Every time I pick up that tuba, I thank myself for being so foolish. The several thousand that I paid for that tuba have come and gone in my life since then so many times that I've almost lost count. Unlike that mere money, that tuba has consistently brought me satisfaction and pleasure. When the people close to me asked me if I'd taken leave of my senses, I told them I had.

Rick "who thinks people value things differently with their wallets than with their words" Denney

Follow Ups: