Re: Re: pricing perspectives

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by dp on July 14, 2002 at 01:11:12:

In Reply to: Re: pricing perspectives posted by Ken H on July 14, 2002 at 00:18:52:

many "manufacturers" now-a-days are more accurately "assemblers".....and there is still a TON of work, even when they purchase valvesets, bells, ferrules & braces etc etc from outside sources. AND thats not to say that the wood-workers building wind and string instruments don't have the same capital outlays, nor the same supply-tiers to manage.
Still, its my believe that the comparison (like Sean said) is hard to make due to the dif's in the instruments but especially the differences in the musicians!!!!
Face it, woodwind and string players really ARE different, their market will bear higher prices (don't ask specifically why I can't assuredly say) BUT you better be willing to bet a dollar that when trusted teachers will encourage spending spend 3500+ for a 900 dollar russian horn with some hand-fitting finish work and 200 dollars worth of up-rated parts, then the days of 20-40k+ instruments for us are on the horizon.....

but then, I could be wrong, f.w.i.w.

Follow Ups: