Re: Re: Re: pricing perspectives

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Doug on July 13, 2002 at 21:45:34:

In Reply to: Re: Re: pricing perspectives posted by Thimker (js) on July 13, 2002 at 20:26:40:

Agreed. I just couldn't help but notice the lack of bids for the $20000+ bassoons. I guess the bassoon community is as wary of e*** as we are.

On the other hand, you can get a good sound out of most tubas. But I am told that there really are considerable differences in sound quality between types of other instruments (violins, etc.)

I can't tell the difference between Mr. Zerkel on his Rudy Meinl (i think) and Pat Sheridan on his Besson and Ernie Phillips (my former BD) on his Mirafone.

But I can tell when a violinist has a good piece of equipment, and that piece is usually the expensive kind.

My $6000 Getzen is sounds a little better than my Mirafone, and it's more fun to play, but would I be better with a Hisbrunner or Rudy Meinl? Probably not.

In this pointless spat of writing I am agreeing with Joe, whom I understand to be a very talented player, so I could never criticize his choice of horn, whatever it is right now.

Doug "still likes looking around e***" G

Follow Ups: