Re: Re: Re: Re: Rotary Repair Question

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Ken H on July 10, 2002 at 09:19:32:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Rotary Repair Question posted by Todd Morgan on July 10, 2002 at 00:48:32:

In a pinch, such as the trombone emergency case I mentioned earlier, I have used vinegar. It just works. Smell? Rinses out pretty well, and compared to the pong of a lot of instruments it would seem heavenly! At least you can get it at night in the corner convenience store and it is cheap. Hotel management does not even complain....they just think you must have spilled a couple drops of that white wine they charged a fortune for.(Gotta have something while the careless bone player and rest of the band are out living it up while you fix his horn for nuthin - cheapskate didn't even buy a Chicago 7 course dinner for me!)

In my current position I can not have a proper acid cleaning bath, but found a good, reasonably safe and fairly inexpensive alternate. CLR is a very good brass pickling solution which can be used in the "home" situation. It must be well rinsed out of course. It can even do a fair clean up on absolutely black matte silver finishes. Into a large old bath tub with a bottle and let the instrument have a good soak and it will come out clean inside and out.

Follow Ups: