Re: Re: july 4th gigs

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Jay Bertolet on July 06, 2002 at 10:30:33:

In Reply to: Re: july 4th gigs posted by Dan Schultz on July 05, 2002 at 13:37:26:

If you see Al Savia again, please send him my regards. Many years ago, he was the assistant music director of the Florida Philharmonic. Many of the musicians that were around during his tenure (myself included) remember him fondly.

The FPO played its July 4th concert on Miami Beach this year. This was a true spectacle, utilizing the orchestra, narrator (A Lincoln Portrait), US Air Force Honor Guard (POW/MIA Ceremony), the FPO Chorus (patriotic selections), and the 13th Army Reserve Band (to augment the 1812 Overture). What a gas, by the way, to work with the Army bandsmen. They had two tuba players and one of them is the sister of Gil Corella. She's a pretty good player too!

Anyhow, the plan was to have the obligatory fireworks display at the end of 1812, continuing as we played a couple of Sousa marches. Imagine our surprise when, about 5 minutes into the intermission of the concert, the fireworks display began. After much heated communication, the news spread that this wasn't a test. The fireworks had simply gone off by themselves. Fortunately, they had some fireworks left for the end of the concert. I must say it was kind of nice to actually see the fireworks display which we normally don't get to see because we're usually playing as they're going off. Very nice!

My opinion for what it's worth...

Follow Ups: