Re: Re: Ear buzzing when playing in quintet

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Ola on July 06, 2002 at 06:48:12:

In Reply to: Re: Ear buzzing when playing in quintet posted by js on July 05, 2002 at 22:42:12:

That works for tubas as well. Some years back, I was taking a tuba sectional with the tubas of my former school band (brass band), and I was working with them on intonation on some simple harmonies they had in a piece. They had this 5th, a second ledger line C and the G just above, and I instructed only two of them to play it so we could have good intonation and then add the others. What happened when I had steered them in tune was that a C the octave below the lowest note they were playing appeared, seemingly out of nowhere. And it was so loud it covered up what they were actually playing! At the time I didn't know what it was, and was quite surprised and had to do a bit of research to find out what it is. It is basically the same effect as the high E that will sound (unplayed) if you get a C and G in tune, but I didn't know that it worked downwards as well!

Those two guys managed to successfully reproduce that effect whenever they wanted after that!

Ola

Follow Ups: