Re: Discriminating Belt Brackets?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Lew on July 05, 2002 at 10:21:28:

In Reply to: Discriminating Belt Brackets? posted by Volker on July 04, 2002 at 11:43:26:

I played in a Independance Day parade yesterday morning, and although I was sitting on a float (actually a flat bed truck) with the rest of the band, not marching, using a strap helped make the horn much more secure. I didn't have to worry about dropping my tuba off the side of the truck when we stopped or started up. The tuba was much more convenient than my sousaphone in the tight space on the truck. I used a 100+ year old tuba that has elaborately ornamented strap rings. The maker took as much care with these as he did with the rest of the horn. It was definitely one of his "top of the line" instruments.

I noticed another marching unit who's tuba player had a 5 valve Hirsbrunner CC on which he was using a strap. Just because a tuba can be marched with doesn't make it an inferior instrument, although some that are made specifically for marching tend to have less desirable designs. I don't think that strap rings are the differentiating factor.

Follow Ups: