Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Pt-4, Mirafone 188, Conn 56j, which best

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by A G. in V. on July 05, 2002 at 10:19:37:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Pt-4, Mirafone 188, Conn 56j, which best posted by A guy in Georgia on July 03, 2002 at 23:40:10:

Sometimes I want to answer something in a way that everyone has on their minds but that might be considered a bit sharp. I use it to make a general point on behalf of everyone (as I see it), not on behalf of myself. I may also answer the same thread under my real name with something that may be more specifically helpful. In this way, it's a word to the wise, meaning that it's a little bird whispering in the ear of the offender rather than a chastisement from a specific person. My hope is that this spoonful of sugar makes the medicine go down a bit easier.

I also use it when I want to make a joke that requires a bit of thought to understand. If I use my real name, people think I'm being mean, and of course I don't want to be mean. But explaining the joke with emoticons and other cues sometimes robs it of humor, especially if I'm trying to get a chuckle from those who enjoy the occasional aridity (or, is that erudite) in humor.

Regulars, of course, know how the list works and don't need the device I'm using. They also know who I am. I don't think my writing style is sufficiently general to hide my identity, and I know my IP address isn't.

A G. "who thinks you sometimes have to be a bit sharp to make a point" in V.

Follow Ups: