Re: Re: gadget, gadgets, & more gadgets (a vent)

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by js on July 04, 2002 at 10:24:23:

In Reply to: Re: gadget, gadgets, & more gadgets (a vent) posted by Carroll on July 03, 2002 at 21:05:17:

Carroll got picked on. He was teasing, because he and I are old friends.

Of course, 2nd valve slide shortening and water key adding are simple and sensible "nuts and bolts" repairs...

...Actually, the 2nd valve shortening is almost mandetory on one model - the older Willson 2704 euphoniums (w-a-a-y too long) and I've shortened these on school-owned instruments (some that I sold new). Euphoniums manufactured without #3 waterkeys were simply done as a "budget" decision on the part of the manufacturer and of course this 10-minutes-to-add accessory is of great benefit to the convenience of the player and the aesthetics of performances.

You didn't see Carroll mention sending his euphonium off to Walter Lawson for a new anealed ambronze (and why not 14K gold bonded for good measure, too?) *detachable mouthpipe tube with a custom in-between-English-and-large-shank mouthpiece receiver (to fit a very special violetwood mouthpipe that Prof. Sucremont Schallendricque made for him in Norway).

;^)

Follow Ups: