Re: best mouthpiece

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Rick Denney on July 02, 2002 at 10:07:54:

In Reply to: best mouthpiece posted by Tuda on July 02, 2002 at 03:43:13:

Just about every mouthpiece ever made has its devoted following. Everyone has a different face, a different tuba, and a different set of objectives. The mouthpiece is where those differences appear.

In my opinion, price and value aren't closely related here. It's possible that a fabulously expensive mouthpiece is just the ticket for you, in which case it's worth the money. But it could go the other way, too. Plenty of good pros get along just fine with standard Bachs, Wicks, and Conns. I own two Doug Elliott mouthpieces that are much more expensive, but they came with interchangeable parts and extremely valuable consultation.

Sometimes, you persuade yourself that the mouthpiece is making a difference, and so it does, but because of the persuasion and not the shape. This placebo effect wears off after a while, so it is best to try mouthpieces for a long period. I really like Joe's advice of buying something that may be what you want, trying it out for several months to get a real impression of it, and then selling it used if it doesn't work. The cost to you will be small compared to any of your other expenses in playing the tuba, and you'll give it a real trial rather than making the decision on a week-long first impression.

Rick "who has a box full of mouthpieces that are all better than the player" Denney

Follow Ups: