Re: Re: Re: Pro BB flaters

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by olituba on July 31, 2001 at 16:06:21:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Pro BB flaters posted by why? on July 30, 2001 at 18:06:16:

maybe want to e-mail me?

THe thing is, over here when on top of a part it says Basstuba you use the F, if it says Kontrabaßtuba (the *ß* is a contraktion of *s* and *z*)you use theBBb.
Now, when I studied in Berlin my teacher said once you got past the audition, once you´ve got tenure, you for the most part free to use whatever tuba aou choose. BUT: there´s the audition in your way! So, No matte rhow much I may like th eCC privately, it´s not worth getting one before you got tenure.
In the auditions you ge tto play not only excerpts on the fat lady, but also - additionally to the Vaughn Williams on the F - somtimes the Hindemith sonata on BBb. (read the part closely, it says Sonate für Basstuba! i.e. we allways do it on F) Then, after checking all the tuba-parts you´ll find out there´s not a whole of stuff to be done on BBb. There´s the Ring, Hindemith Metamorphosis, Prokoffieff 5th, Bruckner 7th(just 2nd movmt!), Prokoff Romeo and maybe some Mahler (Parts of 2nd, most of 5th, most of 6th). That´s about all you get to grab your BBb for over here (remember: sometimes it seems the CC is considered neither a Bass nor a contrabasstuba. Something that´s defenitely "vom übel" evil, sinister, a halfbred, maybe not even a proper tuba in the first place. Beer-band people from rural areas will even treat it as one of those rumors one hears about crazy inventors...)
Yet: in the orchestras it´s the "good old german tradition", you play F when it says BAsstuba, and BBb when it says Kontrabasstuba. If you happen to like Eb or CC, well, nice for you if you´ve got the money to waste on those horns, but don´t bring one of those weirdos to work, hear me!?

Follow Ups: