Re: Band Literature and the Tuba Player

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by jlb on July 28, 2001 at 18:07:00:

In Reply to: Band Literature and the Tuba Player posted by Katy Jablonski on July 28, 2001 at 14:23:54:

I vote for group activities -- tuba group music, group lessons, get the single players into rehearsals, and even concerts with the more senior bands. (WOW, what a concept -- multiple bands in one high school!!) Take them all to tubachristmas as a school funded field trip.

When I started, (late 50's) I was the "one and only bass" for three years. I did not have any concept or appreciation of a 'tuba section' until I made District and All State band, and then it was very short. Try to get them to think of themselves as 'the tuba section' for the school, not just in the band they are assigned to. An only tuba player can get to feel kind of unusual and isolated, especially a young person. This is not condusive to continued activity, especially in the early teens.

One more -- As an "older" citizen, I play in a wind ensemble at a local small college. The students get grades for the ensemble, the community members get to play in a great rehearsal hall with a good conductor and a well instrumented band. If you can get it past the bureaucracy, you might try bringing in community members to augument your bands and mentor the young tubists.

Good luck. I could wish my son had been in such a situation. His high school music program stunk.

jlb

Follow Ups: