Re: Orfeo Deck mouthpieces (?) - description

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Tom B. on July 28, 2001 at 16:19:50:

In Reply to: Orfeo Deck mouthpieces (?) - description posted by Barry Guerrero on July 28, 2001 at 16:00:38:

This is the information I was able to dig up when I purchased my Orfeo Deck #2 mouthpiece used:

They are heavy walled mouthpieces designed by Warren Deck of the New York Philharmonic. The extra mass of the mouthpiece dampens higher overtones resulting in a perceived "darker" sound. These mouthpieces are not currently being produced.

Descriptions:

The mouthpieces were designed by Warren Deck and made by Dave Houser. There were 6 sizes: "3" & "3F;" "2" & "2F;" "1" & "1F." The 3s have the deepest cup, the 2s are somewhat shallower, and the 1s are shallower yet. The "F" indicates a flat rim. Orfeo sold them for a while but no longer does so.

These mouthpieces date back to when Orpheus Music in San Antonio, Texas was importing Meinl Weston tubas and also was selling those big, expensive "paperweight" thigh-numbing mouthpieces.

Orfeo published the
following descriptions, attributed to Warren, in their catalog:

Deck 3 — "A large cup volume with a fairly deep bowl (or U) shaped cup. Combined with a large throat this mouthpiece gives
a robust and resonant sound. It should be good at making some smaller tubas sound bigger. The rim is fairly round."
Deck 2 — "About the same cup depth as the Deck 3, but the funnel (or V) shaped cup has less volume giving a more focused
sound. The large throat takes large volumes of air well. Same rounded rim as the Deck 3."
Deck 1 — "The same cup shape and depth as the Deck 2, but with a smaller throat, making it work well for quintet or F tuba
applications. Same rounded rim profile as the other 2 models.
"The Deck 3F, 2F, and 1F are identical to the above mouthpieces, but have a flatter rim profile for those who prefer this feel."

They were very expensive new...if I'm correct they sold for about $300.00 which is about inline with the price of a Monette or a Parke Ofenloch (sp??). If you want to try one, Dillon's has a used one for $50.

Follow Ups: