Re: Band Literature and the Tuba Player

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Steve Dedman on July 28, 2001 at 15:13:04:

In Reply to: Band Literature and the Tuba Player posted by Katy Jablonski on July 28, 2001 at 14:23:54:

1) circus marches. I know, younger kids have problems with those, because they're 100 bars of oompah boredom with 12 bars of "wiggle your fingers and blow." But I had trouble with them too, and my band director was persistent in pushing me to play these difficult pieces in 9th & 10th grade. It paid off by keeping me hooked.

2)Look at the scores you have; in a school that size, I suspect you have a substantial music library. Program at least two pieces on each concert that hilight the abilities and capabilities of the tuba. At the end of each piece, recognize the tubist as if he/she were the solo cornet player. When kids see that tubas get recognized for their efforts just like the 1st trumpet, it makes recruitment a lot easier.

3) a little guilt can go a long way. "Sally, you're the only tuba player to support this whole 50-piece band. It's especially important for you to practice your parts. The whole band is counting on you." (Done in private, of course.) I was the only tubist in my high school band for 3 years, and I got a steady diet of that my first year from not only my band director, but other sections that took it upon themselves to mention it to me. It worked, and I became a much better player much more rapidly as a result.

All of your recruitment ideas are very valid. I would add a couple more: 1) see if you can get a very good undergraduate at UMD, or contact Steve Grove in the Duluth-Superior Symphony to find an accomplished local player that will work regularly with your tuba students. Perhaps the band can subsidize the instruction, and group lessons are better than no lessons. Maybe even go so far as to establish a permanent tuba ensemble. There is PLENTY of lit out there for it (contact R.W. Morris (AT) TN Tech), and they could do a feature on a concert. 2) Imprint onto these kids that becoming a really good tuba player can realistically fund their college degree, or at least help a lot, often without having to major in music. Really good trumpet players are all over the place, but colleges often get into recruiting wars over the really good tuba players. I know of one university that offers music scholarships with only 2 stipulations: maintain a 2.5 GPA and play in the marching band. College band directors always keep their eyes open for tuba players that can do more than oompah. 3) You might also contact a pro tuba soloist to see if they will play 2 or 3 pieces with your bands on a concert, combined with a masterclass/guest conducting the tuba ensemble. Nothing like a kid picking his jaw up off of the stage to get his attention.

Hope this gives you some ideas!

Steve

Follow Ups: